Sunday, June 8, 2008

Two new artists in the OriginAAls Gallery

I've just added two new images from two of Chicago's most unique artists and characters,
Melvin King and Emmett McBain.

For those already familiar with Melvin's work (and I'd guess many collectors are), the image in the gallery is quite a departure. Mr. King's most popular paintings and prints usually depict stylized, multi-peopled scenes of African-American life and history. But, as he told me when I first went to his studio, his first real love was abstraction. The image here is one of many that show his other side.

The other new image is by a man I've known and admired over 35 years, Emmett McBain. For those of you in the ad game, the name should ring a bell. (If it doesn't, you should buy the book, Madison Avenue and the Colorline). Mr. McBain was one of the most creative and successful AfrAmericans in advertising. He was co-founder of Burrell-McBain, the ad agency that blazed new trails in advertising in the 70's, 80's and 90's, which still (as Burrell Communications) is one of the leading companies in the business.

A few years ago, he started painting again after decades of confining his skills to advertising and communications design. I think we're all the better for it. What about you?

2 comments:

greenartists said...

I find this work beautiful and profound. As an African-American woman working to open a small art gallery in Pittsburgh--one of the few owned by a person of color--I can only hope that artists of this caliber are one day represented on my gallery walls.

Christine

Lowell said...

Christine,
Thank you.
But this is only the beginning and merely the tip of a gargantuan ice berg. As soon as I get some time, I'll add lots more ideas, information and evidence of African-American creative genius.